Wednesday, February 11, 2009 (EST)
Since it's going around the internet right now, here are 10 Random things you don’t know about me
- When I was at university I volunteered at summer camps teaching children how to use and program computers. I have three kids, and each one was born on a different continent. I told Agilene that, if she gets pregnant again, we would have to move somewhere else. So far it is working.
- When I was volunteering at Life-Sowing Ministries, a mission based in southern Zimbabwe, I must have dismantled and repaired about 30 old, old-fashioned typewriters that they used for teaching secretarial skills. I also got chased by a hippo but that is another story.
- While I was there I had the shortest mailing address I have ever had: ‘X7 CZ’
- I am learning to play the guitar. I should correct that since neither learning, nor play applies to what I do. Whereas most of the people I know who play have talent, I do not and have to use the brute force approach.
- I speak three languages: English, my home language, Afrikaans and Portuguese. I used to speak Afrikaans better, but it is amazing how learning another language confuses the brain.
- When I met Agilene, I couldn’t speak Portuguese and the only word of English that she knew was ‘help’. She still never lets me forget that I told my friends that ‘I don’t speak Portuguese and she doesn’t speak English but we communicate well’.
- I helped rewire the emergency lighting on the Doulos while it was docked in Cape-Town. I lost track of how many miles we pulled between mounting a light in the chimney and the one at the end of the propeller tube.
- The first time I kissed Agilene was at our wedding, something that frustrated her no end. She was also the first girl I kissed.
- My dream is to write a book one day – I’m still looking for inspiration as to what I should write about though. Maybe one day I’ll have enough interesting stories to fill a book.
- I have forgotten more computer languages than I care to remember (about one for every year I have lived), not to mention all those web technologies that have a ‘J’ in them.
- I never learnt to count past 11.
- I hate using smilies they just spoil the whole point of humor being subtle :)